Monday, November 14, 2022

What REALLY Matters

It’s been an interesting time in life lately. I just had my second baby a month ago and have been sleep deprived and am fully immersed in mom mode. Thankfully my husband has a leave from work that has been super helpful with taking care of the 17 month old as I navigate the new normal of nursing a baby that is very different than my first. Miss Amorie loves to be held, drink mama's milk and will fall asleep in our arms. 

I’ve had some thoughts come to mind lately as I have been up in the night feeding the baby. I have had thoughts of what is really the most important thing in my life and what isn’t. Obviously since having another baby it has been harder to keep up on household tasks such as cleaning the bathrooms, doing dishes and vacuuming the floors. The way our house is set up one of the first things you can see as you walk in the front door is the kitchen sink and countertops. It drives me crazy when there is a pile of dishes in the sink.

As I was doing the dishes one morning I was listening to some music by Hillary Weeks and I loved what she was talking about.  

If you only had today, what would you prioritize in your life and want to accomplish? Now go out and start living and doing it!

It hit me hard that I should be taking advantage of the time I have with my babies because they won’t be little for long and I will miss this stage. I want to remember and catch those giggles, smiles and excitement as they learn new things and make connections. It's so easy to get caught up in unimportant things like checking our phones or spending time on mindless games or shows. Sonny and I did a challenge the other day because we were just mindlessly scrolling on our phones and wasting a lot of time. The challenge was to delete any and all games or social media that was distracting us from what was right in front of us...each other and our kids. It was pathetic how many times I pulled out my phone out of habit when I was feeling bored. 

My Aunt is dying of pancreatic cancer. It’s been interesting to watch her community of family and friends rally around her and her husband. She has been able to do a bunch of things on her bucket list. My aunt has been able to spend more time with her husband along with her siblings working on projects and going places that she has wanted to before she passes away. It has been eye opening to me to watch my mom as she has learned her little sister is going to die. Sometimes life throws you a curveball that makes you realize that your priorities need to change. 


No comments:

Post a Comment